According to U.S. News, opportunities will expand in the coming years for people with business skills in accounting, finance, and management.
Careers in Accounting
- Graduates with an accounting concentration enjoy a wide range of career opportunities within the field of accounting or in other business professions. Many Assumption accounting graduates take public or corporate accounting positions, while others have become financial managers, consultants, entrepreneurs, and financial information technology experts.
- Typical opportunities include roles in public accounting (e.g., auditing and accounting services, tax and management advisory services, and personal financial planning); in business and not-for-profit organizations (e.g., financial and management reporting, cost accounting, corporate finance, internal auditing and controls, and tax planning); and in government agencies (e.g., auditing and compliance, budget preparation and analysis, and risk assessment).
- Employment prospects in the field of accounting are excellent, especially for those who pursue a professional certification; according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs are expected to grow by 22% through 2018. Up and coming careers in the field include forensic accounting, assurance services, international accounting,and environmental accounting.
According to the BLS, the median annual salary for an accountant was $65,940 in 2014 US News ranks Accounting #3 in best business jobs
Careers in Digital Marketing
- As a graduate with a digital marketing concentration, you will find that there are many career opportunities, all of which have one common thread: the necessity to understand and translate customer needs in developing and communicating your organization’s digital marketing strategy.
- As one of the fastest growing industries, Forrester Research projects that spending on digital marketing in the U.S. will nearly double from $57.29 billion dollars to $103.37 billion dollars in a five year period through 2019
- Virtually every industry employs marketing professionals, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics has projected that jobs in this field will increase by 13% through 2018, with most growth expected in the areas of search engine marketing, social media marketing, channel marketing, and general sales roles. Digital marketing institute projects 150k new digital marketing jobs by 2020.
Careers in Management
- Management done well is both an art and a science, and graduates of our management concentration are well-equipped for leadership and supervisory roles in all types of industries and organizations, both public and private. You will not only learn foundational management subjects, but also skills in planning, organizing, directing and oversight that will make you a more versatile and effective manager.
- Graduates of the management concentration are found in such diverse industries as manufacturing, healthcare, education, nonprofits, technology, insurance, banking, government, and real estate, in roles including operations management, procurement, contracts management, sales and marketing, human resources, office management, and personal and commercial banking. Some have also gone on to establish entrepreneurial ventures.
- Because of the range of opportunities, the Bureau of Labor Statistics has reported that management careers will increase by 12% through 2018, particularly in the areas of healthcare, transportation, general and operations management, financial services, and office administration.